What Can I Do If My Partner Won’t Let Me See My Child?

What Can I Do If My Partner Won’t Let Me See My Child?

When dealing with a divorce or separation, lots of parents dread the inability to see their children. So, if you find yourself in this situation, it is important to understand that you are not alone as several others are having similar experiences. Whatever the cause may be, the most essential thing is to consider various options you can explore to have access to your child once again.

Here are the things you should do if your partner won’t let you see your child:

1. Discuss the issue with your partner

If you are still in good terms with your partner, you should think about talking to them first to discuss the issue. Let them know why you need to see your child as well as your contribution as a parent. You can do this on your own or ask someone who understands family law to assist you. Alternatively, if you know a friend, relative, religious advisor, or colleague that your partner trusts and respects, you can get in touch with the person. Let the person help you ask why you are denied access to your child.

In some cases, there may be a reason for the unavailability of your child. An unplanned trip, a change in work plan or schedule, and your inability to pay child support are possible reasons that may make your partner unable to let you see your child.

2. Go to court for assistance

In most situations, talking to your partner cannot proffer the reliable solution you are looking for. Therefore, your resort may be going to court. If there is an existing court order, the court only has to enforce it to ensure that you can see your child again.

There are various things the court can do for you. You can request for a contempt order as long as you can prove that your partner is aware of the order but still prevents you from seeing your child. Your partner may be jailed or fined if found guilty of not following the existing court order. However, getting a contempt order from the court can be challenging.

If you don’t have a court order, consider starting a family court case. Also, you can change the order or agreement if your parenting agreement allows it.

Overall, going to court and getting the desired solution can be tasking and time-consuming. So, you may want to consider other options before going to court.

3. Hire the services of a family law professional

Considering the various challenges that come with talking to your partner or going to court, you are advised to get help from a family law professional. A family law professional is an individual that has been trained to assist partners that are having various issues with their relationships.

Apart from helping get a settlement to see your child, a family law professional can also help you with parenting coordination, mediation, arbitration, etc.

Now, you know the right things you can do whenever your partner doesn’t allow you to see your child.